Re: Lucent "winmodem and Debian with an up to date Kernel

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 02:10:46AM +0100, Jeff Green wrote:
> A colleague has got some of our laptops which contain internal Lucent
> winmodems working using DeadRat 6.2 I would much prefer him to use
> Debian or Storm but the Lucent driver we can find is a binary only
> affair found on http://www.linmodems.org/ which only appears to work
> with 2.2.14 kernels anyone have a better answer?

Slightly better.
You can make the binary-only module work with 2.2.15 <= kernels <= 2.2.17,
if you make a small change to ...include/linux/tty.h and then recompile the
kernel & the modules (including pcmcia, alsa or other kernel-dependenti s/w).
I found this hint on the archive list of www.linmodems.org and
re-posted it on debian-laptops ML a couple of weeks ago. Dig in the
archives of these list for details.

It is not like having an open-source driver, but it might help you.
(BTW, I believe RH also is using the binary-only module, so no loss in
switching ).

Ciao
------
FB