Re: Idea: Master Debian FAQ (newbie-centric)

I too would be interested in developing this.

I know I can offer up a begining list of questions
that don't apear to be answered in any one place with
brevity and clarity.  But the clarity I personally am
looking for is one filtered through windows.  I'm a
crossdressing newbie.  I'm fleeing the apron strings
of M$ and trying to learn Linux but constrained by my
dos perspective.  It's harder to unlearn than to learn
afresh so appending M$ similarities to the answers of
FAQ's would be enormously helpfull.

I know windows,  and computing philosphy well so what
I want is specific answers to hurdle questions in an
order that reflects when I'm likly to encounter them.

I don't think I'm too different from most people who
arrive at Linux from another path.  I decide to learn
Linux and begin by obtaining the OS, loading it,
setting it up and then adding the applications I want.
 Having done this hundreds of times with all flavours
of MS, OS2 and Mac OS's I'm looking for a parallel
type of experience.

I suppose I'm describing the need for a How-To but one
that is stucture like a FAQ list with plug-in,
pull-out answers and links to further reading.

A big task but one that would satisfy the defecting
user who wants to get their hands dirty in the guts of
an OS by building it themselves, like a custom car.
Debian Linux is for drivers, not passengers.  Because
I've driven before, just give me the keys, point out
the order of things and I'll work it out from there.
I don't want to re-learn, I want to adjust.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm subverting the orignal
intention but I'll work on an ordered list of
questions for whatever group that takes this on.

Ian.

< There is no witty in-joke attached to this email >