Re: Frustrated Windows user making switch

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Chad Scott wrote:

> My first problem is that my mouse doesn't work. It's a Logitech serial
> mouse, and I've tried the Logitech, Microsoft and Auto options in
> XF86Setup, but none work. My second problem is that XF86Setup tells me
> I need to have the SVGA server installed. I don't know how to do that.

Use the serial mouse driver.  Both the Logitech and Microsoft drivers are
'specialty' and not for use with ordinary mice even if they are made by
Logitech or Microsoft.  If your mouse is really a PS/2 mouse (99% of
serial mice function as PS/2 mice also simply by connecting them to the
PS/2 port) then use that driver.

You'll also want to make sure that you set up the proper mouse link in the
/dev directory, as follows:

If your mouse is on COM1, you want to do 'ln -sf /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse'
and if it is on COM2, you should do that same command except using ttyS1
instead of ttyS0.

I have never used XF86Setup.  I think it's dumb and am still using the
XF86Config file I've had since 1995 anyway.  You might also try the
program 'xf86config' which is text-based - and if it's even around - I
used it a couple times on RedHat.

If you can get X to come up at all and display actual graphics,
congratulations, you have completed one of the hard parts.  If not,
then:

You can check which X servers you have installed by doing:
ls /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86*

Hopefully one of these will match the video chipset you have.  If you
don't know what video chipset you have, someone can probably tell you if
you know the manufacturer and model.  Another option is SuperProbe, which
is good at figuring this stuff out.

> Understand that referring me to XF86Config means nothing to me. I
> don't even know how to open the file. I'm sure this type of help

You will probably want to use 'pico' as your first editor.  'joe' is
another good choice.  Both of them are fairly non-intimidating, generally
do "what you expect" and importantly have easily accessible online help.
Pico is in non-free, but you are likely to have it anyway.