Re: Book Recommendations...

>>>>> "kms" == kmself  <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

    kms> As Richard Stallman says, using vi isn't a sin, it's a
    kms> pennance.  This handy pocket guide will give you (or answer)
    kms> a prayer.

Yes. Once, on a job I was actually being paid for (imagine that) I
found myself planted in front of a SCO Unix system. I was told I was
in charge of it, and to keep it running. In response to my first
question, the vendor (who has since disappeared, presumably to avoid
prosecution) said, "Oh, I'm glad you asked that; the only editor is
vi."  That's right, my then-brief life flashed before my eyes, sweat
rolled down my forehead into my eyes, and all vital signs started to
bump up markedly.

Moral to the story: get comfy with vi. It will sneak up on you when
you least expect it. The small O'Reilly book _Learning the vi Editor_
is relatively inexpensive and features a simple walk-through tutorial
that will stand the uninitiated in good stead. It too comes with a
handy reference card.

You have been warned. <g>

--
Bob Bernstein