X11 freezes

I have a problem with x11 in woody freezing when switching from a
terminal to X leaving with a black screen and locked keyboard. This
occures usually after about the 4-5 switching from a terminal to X
(ctrl+alt+f7) and never the other way. The Xservers give no clue as
their output is what I would expect for when running normally.

XF86_SVGA and XSiS_SVGA (from sis site) both have this problem

Video Card: SiS6326 4mb
CPU: 200mmx
Ram: 64megs + 128meg swap
Kernel:2.2.17
Debian Dist: Woody
Xserver version: 3.3.6 (debian build 11)

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Chris Ison