Re: exim help needed

Hai Krzys,

sorry to bud in so late, and for breaking the thread referencing
but it was only after I deleted the whole thread from within mutt
that I realised that I might offer some help. I picked up your
first request from the muc.list.debian.user netnews copy of debian-user.

> Newsgroups: muc.lists.debian.user
>
> OK I've given up on sendmail. On  to exim now. Here are the features I
> want. Right now, it looks like sending mail fails silently.
> -  cron   jobs  can   send  mail  to   root,  who  forwards   them  to
> majewski@cs.ubc.ca
> - remote machines can't send mail to my machine (ie don't run a daemon
> on port 25)
> - outgoing mail  (e.g. from Mutt) send via  localhost:6025 which is port
> forwarded to smtp.cs.ubc.ca:25.

As was pointed out to you, and you already started doing, you have to
reconfigure exim to use a smart-host. Then do some editing in /etc/exim.conf:

  Add a transport in the Transport section:

    tunneled_smtp:
       driver = smtp
       port = 6025

  Start the Router section with:

    smart_tunnel:
       driver = domainlist
       transport = tunneled_smtp
       self = send
       route_list = "* localhost byname"

And of you go! That is, if the port is forwarded in time.
It works here, but I give no garantees:)

Just curious, what tricks do you use to create this port forwarding?
And is it created on the fly?

--
groetjes, carel