Re[2]: Really strange problems with package handeling

Sunday, October 22, 2000, 10:38:38 PM, you wrote:

BS> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Ikarus wrote:
>> I've got a really strange problem using dpkg apt-get and other package
>> handeling tools when I attempt to do anyting (like: apt-get install
>> apache) it gives the following error: shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
>> What does this error mean and what can I do about it

BS> That the program (bash) is in a dir the user running it does not have
BS> read permission for; I've had it happen when su-ing around or if I
BS> delete a dir a user is working in.  Don't worry about it unless some
BS> program is bombing out because of it.

The first problem was because of some nice effects with su like you
said I found that out just now

>> Also I've got in my syslog and message log a lot of messages like:
>> Oct 21 01:10:13 Mercury kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for init...
>> Oct 21 01:10:13 Mercury kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for bitchx...
>> And many more for every program I'm running. Its also allmost at the
>> exact time I'm installing/removing packages could this be related and

BS> You are low on virtual memory (VM) and the kernel is failing when it
BS> tries to free some for the programs running... either get more RAM, make
BS> another (or larger) swap partition, create a swap file, or shutdown some
BS> of the programs running when you are installing packages.  The messages
BS> are not a problem unless running programs are being killed when you try
BS> to use them.

I thought 60 VM would be enough with 32 MB ram but then I'll just have
to make even more swapspace availible

>> if so how do I fix it everything seems to be going wrong on my machine
>> lately

BS> such as...

I had some problems related to Apache + PHP4 + mysql that I thought
where related to these problems but I'm working on that one with a
friend of mine.

Thanx

--

 Ikarus                            mailto:ikamps@quicknet.nl