Re: Introduction.

:: Rick Hayner writes:

> Hello to all here.

> Sunday when we were configuring my dial up connection, I had to pick
> up the receiver of the phone connected to my modem to know that the
> connection had failed.  I don't know how others determine whether
> things have connected alright or not, but I wrote scripts in the
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory, and they were run, but did not display the
> local ip and remote ip addresses like I wanted.  Modifying the pon
> script so that pppd was run with the -detach option and using & to put
> it in the background solved this problem for me.  If anyone has a
> better suggestion, I'd like to hear about it.

I use gkrellm to check if the connection is still alive. So far, it
worked perfectly, and it also shows me some other useful information.

When I need more information,  less /var/log/ppp.log or tail -f
/var/log/ppp.log  are usually all I need...

> Thanks for reading this.

You are welcome!

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil