cannot open '/dev/lp1' - 'No such device or address'

I've just done a fresh (mainly) potato installation of debian.  I have
lprng and magicfilter installed and configured, but when I try to
print I get the following:

$ lpq
Printer: lp@destiny  'HP Laserjet 5L'
 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: pid 13656 active
 Unspooler: pid 13662 active
 Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files                 Size Time
active(attempt-2) mark@destiny+655  A   655 (stdin)             310050 07:46:46

Now I did have a working potato installation before, and printing was
working fine.  (I did a fresh install on a new hard drive I bought.)
I can't see why printing doesn't work now.  The only other major thing
which has changed is that I am now running kernel 2.4.0-test9.  Does
anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong?

I have lp compiled as a module.  If I do lsmod I get:

Module                  Size  Used by
lp                      4784   0
ppp_deflate            39584   0  (autoclean)
bsd_comp                4224   0  (autoclean)
ppp_async               6320   1  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            12768   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
slhc                    4656   1  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
parport_pc             13312   1  (autoclean)
parport                13952   1  (autoclean) [lp parport_pc]

Cheers,

Mark.

--