Stupid newbie questions.

Ok, I know quite a bit about linux, but not much about Debian.  I just
installed it yesterday.  Anyway I have a few stupid questions, don't laugh
please ;)

1.  Debian makes my fonts in X too large so programs written in GTK, etc,
look bad, how do I change it to a smaller or 'regular' font?

2.  What does debian use to tell it what window manager is default?  I
want window maker to be default.

3.  When I pull up an xterm as a regular use and su to root I can't
execute X programs as root, I always get a 'can't open display' error, I
know I've seen this in the past, but I can't remember how I fixed it.

Thanks for the help.  Debian is one of the best distros.

--
Nick Webb