Re: what is modules.conf

%% Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> writes:

  es> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

  >> 2. which applications use this configuration file?  and when?
  >> only at boot time?

Just to be perfectly clear, modules.conf is used to configure loadable
_kernel_ modules only.  It is not used for _any_ userspace applications.

  >> 3. how is it generated?

  es>   you can edit it using your prefered editor (or other text
  es> editor:-), some programs also change stuff in there, in debian it
  es> is generated using info from various packages that provide device
  es> drivers (e.g. alsa)

In Debian (2.2, anyway) you shouldn't ever edit this file by hand... as
stated in the comments at the top.

Go to /etc/modutils and edit the component files there (and/or add new
ones if you like), and then run update-modules to re-create the
/etc/modules.conf file.

See the man page for update-modules for more details.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development