Re: exim help needed (fwd)

timmy@localhost writes:

> mutt will by default pipe its message to /usr/lib/sendmail (?)

from muttrc(5):

       [...]
       sendmail
              Type: path
              Default: "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi"

              Specifies the program and arguments used to deliver
              mail sent by Mutt.
       [...]

That's correct, 'cause /usr/sbin/sendmail is a link to /usr/sbin/exim,
if you're using Exim as your MTA.

> and that will send the mail to the smtp server or whatever.

This *is* your MTA; Mutt will just "give" it to your MTA, not "send"
it (if that makes it clearer). Then it's the MTA's job to actually
sent it out somewhere...

> I have ssmtp and a smtpd server i made, so ssmtp (which has
> /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/sbin/ssmtp i think) sends the smtp
> data to my mail host which is localhost and my smtpd sends it to my
> smarthost.

Oh, i just read the package description of 'ssmtp'. Ehm, it has
nothing to do with Exim (?). ssmtp is an own, very simple MTA, which
just delivers mail.

	moritz
--
/* Moritz Schulte <moritz@hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de>