Re: xcdroast permissions

Dave Sherohman wrote:
> ---
> X-CD-Roast must run with root-permissions. Therefore you have to set
> the SUID bit. This can be done by
>
>         chmod +s /usr/local/bin/xcdroast
> ---
>
> My questions remain:  Can it be fooled into running without suid and, if not,
> why isn't it installed suid?

It can't run properly without root priviledges. It's probably not
installed suid root because suid root programs are a security risk.

You can either use su to change to the root user, then run it, or you
can run it with sudo (assuming you've installed and configured it
properly), or you can make it suid root as you've mentioned above
(except I'd be surprised if it's in /usr/local/bin if you installed it
from the deb package).

Matthew