Re: machine hangs: solved!

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 02:26:52PM -0700, Krzys Majewski (majewski@cs.ubc.ca) wrote:
> This is an ersatz-followup to my posts from last week about my machine
> hanging  due  to  a  hardware  problem.  I  ran  the  memtest-86  from
> hwtools0.5-0.2, with all address ranges enabled and all test enabled.
> After about five hours, the  machine hung, but memtest-86 had detected
> no memory  errors. I took my machine  back to the shop,  told them the
> memory  was probably  fine and  could  they exchange  the CPU.  Shop's
> policy is to replace the memory first, which they did. Turns out the
> memory  was bad.  I guess  the  moral of  this story  is, don't  trust
> memtest-86 (unless you know more about it than I do). Also, if my shop
> is  to be believed,  memory fails  most often,  and cpu  (Pentium III)
> least often. Oh  yeah BTW my shop uses a  M$ program called BurnIn(?),
> though  this is  not  how they  found  my memory  was  bad (they  just
> guessed). -chris

If a system fails under memtest, particularly if if fails repeatedly at
or near the same point, I'd suspect bad memory despite any program
output.

Running for five hours suggests that memtest had cycled through all
memory several times.  IIRC it only took a few minutes (maybe ten or
twenty, but certainly less than an hour) to complete a full test cycle
through my 128 MB.