machine hangs: solved!

This is an ersatz-followup to my posts from last week about my machine
hanging  due  to  a  hardware  problem.  I  ran  the  memtest-86  from
hwtools0.5-0.2, with all address ranges enabled and all test enabled.
After about five hours, the  machine hung, but memtest-86 had detected
no memory  errors. I took my machine  back to the shop,  told them the
memory  was probably  fine and  could  they exchange  the CPU.  Shop's
policy is to replace the memory first, which they did. Turns out the
memory  was bad.  I guess  the  moral of  this story  is, don't  trust
memtest-86 (unless you know more about it than I do). Also, if my shop
is  to be believed,  memory fails  most often,  and cpu  (Pentium III)
least often. Oh  yeah BTW my shop uses a  M$ program called BurnIn(?),
though  this is  not  how they  found  my memory  was  bad (they  just
guessed). -chris