RE: XF86Config

> From: Lazar Fleysher [mailto:fleysher@chudo.lanl.gov]

> I have a video card with small amount of memory and I was wondering
> if it is possible to configure the xserver to change color depth
> when I change resolution...

 Nope. Sorry.

 It's kind of complicated to do that, for many reasons. First,
applications would have to be notified that the color depth was
changing under them, and so far as I know there really isn't a
provision for that in X. Second, unused memory on a video card is
often used for cursors or pixmap caches and so forth and changing
the depth would require reallocating those caches and so forth.
Doable but awkward.

 Now, what you *might* be able to do is run multiple X servers
at different depths and switch between using the Alt-F# stuff.
That takes up more system RAM but might work depending on what
you're trying to do.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles        (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

    "There is no cause so noble that it will not attract some kooks"
                          - Larry Niven