Re: pdf2ps problem

John Griffiths <john@capmon.com> writes:

> At 01:20 AM 10/19/2000 +0200, Andre Berger wrote:
> >I had to convert a 114 MB pdf-file to ps. This took several hours on
> >my P133, the result is 908 MB... The command I used was
> >'pdf2ps -dPSLevel1 name.pdf name.ps'
> >
> >But I can't use the .ps file! Can I fix the following gv error? I have
> >gs-aladdin, potato.
> >
> >-- Andre
>
> Andre, i work a lot with pdf / ps on windows and linux
>
> generally i use it "straight" can i ask why u used the -dPSLevel1
> argument?

Frankly speaking, I know virtually nothing about PS levels. My
problem: I can't print parts of that file, and my idea was that PS
could be optimized somehow, using ps2ps. I have a LaserJet 2pPS/4MB
which is controlled by magicfilter's psonly300-filter. The printer is
quite old, so I wanted to be sure and chose the to my understanding
most compatible option.

> also a 114MB pdf is going to be an immense PS file (over 1GB) did
> you run out of room?

No, the 900 MB were no problem.

> can i ask what you want it in PS for? there might be another way to
> skin this cat.

I just can't print it otherwise. The document contains faksimiles of
historic newspapers, and I don't need to print all ~1000 pages, just
about 50. I definitely need the highest quality I can get.

Thanks for your assistance in "skinning that cat" (to lpr)!

-- Andre