Re: Weird sound problem

Richard Black wrote:

> Hi All
>
> @#$@!# it but my sound has died.  All was working fine yesterday, then
> I updated my (woody) system and now all is silent.  I am using alsa and
> gnome.  Everything _looks_ okay--modules loaded, esd running, volume
> up--just no sound.  The only thing that I have noticed is that when I
> boot I get the following message:
>
> snd: cs461x: powerup ADC failed
> snd: cs461x: powerup DAC failed
>
> that I don't remember seeing before.  Does anyone have any ideas?
> thanks
>
> Richard

I wonder if this is related to a problem I've had since a recent woody
upgrade: gnome and alsa seem to be the participants.  As soon as I
switch on sound through the Gnome Control Centre, esd starts (seen via
GPS) but I then can't run any other gnome progs.  Tried gmc,
Gnome-Terminal etc.  If I kill esd, the stalled progs spring into life.
If I log out and try to log in again I just get the blank, nondescript
blue screen and the X cursor.

If I log in using icewm and then reset my gnome sound settings to off
(from a backup of ~/.gnome/sound - you can tell I've spent some time on
this - unsuccessfully:(  ) I can then log in to a (quiet) gnome session
ok.

Tried: updating every day, moving to kernel 2.4 test5 (might as well
stay now;), re-compiling alsa-drivers.  Haven't found any error messages
anywhere yet.  I haven't tried compiling the drivers with diagnostics
yet - rather been hoping that a further update would fix it.

LeeE