Re: Problems with my cable company

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 09:43:38AM -0400, David Z. Maze wrote:
> Rogelio E Castillo Haro <rcastillo@glo.org.mx> writes:
> REC> But, The dhcpcd doesn't obtain an IP Address,
>
> I wanted to use as a gateway was a different machine, though, with a
> different Ethernet card, and the cable modem would only give out
> addresses if the MAC address of the Ethernet card connected to it
> matched the address the cable company thought it should have.

I have seen it that cable modems will give out IP addresses to any
MAC address, but to some maximum number of addresses.  So, if you can
only get one IP from the cable modem, and there's already a MAC
address cached, you can't get another card to grab an IP.  The
answer, in this case, is to reset the cable modem.  That will mkae it
lose its cache.

Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
                                   Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4