Re: Need help compiling gtk apps :-(

Once upon a time, I heard John Travis say

> I just nuked my Storm install (intentionally, but it is a great distro :-),
> and did a full reiser-debian install and re-upgraded to Woody.  In trying to
> get everything back the way it was I have run into a few problems.  I can't
> seem to compile any gtk apps.  A simple example
>
> In file included from /usr/include/xmms/plugin.h:27,
>                  from alarm.c:41:
> /usr/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [alarm.lo] Error 1
>
> But 'locate glibconfig.h' shows '/usr/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h.'  I do
> have xmms-dev installed by the way (this was just the easiest example ;-).
> As a matter of fact...
Bassically you need -I/usr/lib/glib/include as gcc flag. The usual way
for an application that use glib is

gcc `glib-config --cflags` see glib-config --help fore more info.

For gtk, it's the same use

gcc `gtk-config --cflags` during compilation and gcc `gtk-config
--libs` during linking

> ii  gdk-imlib-dev  1.9.8.1-helix6 Header files needed for Gdk-Imlib developmen
> ii  libgtk1.2-dev  1.2.8-helix2   Development files for the GIMP Toolkit
> ii  libglib1.2-dev 1.2.8-helix1   Development files for GLib library
>
> The later two both contain this file.
Yeh, that's enough

I suspect how you do the compilation, package that use autoconf/automake
tools should pick up these options automatically.

> Trying to compile Xtheater (I want my divx back!) ends with the same result...
> In file included from /usr/include/gmodule.h:36,
>                  from ui.h:2,
>                  from gtk-ui.c:29:
> /usr/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory
> make[3]: *** [gtk-ui.lo] Error 1
>

> Could someone PLEASE point out what I am missing here?  I'm sure I'll slap
> myself when I see what package I am missing, but for right now I'm just not
> sure.

Chanop

--
| May Debian be with you ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ chanop@debian.org|