Need help compiling gtk apps :-(

I just nuked my Storm install (intentionally, but it is a great distro :-),
and did a full reiser-debian install and re-upgraded to Woody.  In trying to
get everything back the way it was I have run into a few problems.  I can't
seem to compile any gtk apps.  A simple example

In file included from /usr/include/xmms/plugin.h:27,
                 from alarm.c:41:
/usr/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [alarm.lo] Error 1

But 'locate glibconfig.h' shows '/usr/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h.'  I do
have xmms-dev installed by the way (this was just the easiest example ;-).
As a matter of fact...

ii  gdk-imlib-dev  1.9.8.1-helix6 Header files needed for Gdk-Imlib developmen
ii  libgtk1.2-dev  1.2.8-helix2   Development files for the GIMP Toolkit
ii  libglib1.2-dev 1.2.8-helix1   Development files for GLib library

The later two both contain this file.

Trying to compile Xtheater (I want my divx back!) ends with the same result...

In file included from /usr/include/gmodule.h:36,
                 from ui.h:2,
                 from gtk-ui.c:29:
/usr/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [gtk-ui.lo] Error 1

Could someone PLEASE point out what I am missing here?  I'm sure I'll slap
myself when I see what package I am missing, but for right now I'm just not
sure.

TIA,

jt