Re: Monitor power-down/screensaver

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 12:03:15PM +0800, thus spake Tim Wood:
> Hello,
>           I'm running potato on a desktop and a laptop using
> ice-wm/gnome in X.
>
> The laptop is set in the bios to blank the screen and that's fine.
>
> The desktop screen blanks in console but not in X. I'm trying to wean my
> family off windoze - but with limited success.
> To make it more familiar i have xdm set to give an X login. I have used
> "xset dpms 1200 1200" in .xsession and "append'apm=on'" in lilo.conf but
> to no avail.
>
> There is also a measure of disagreement, in general, over whether to use
> a screensaver or have the monitor power-down. The suggestion is that
> cycling the monitor ht will reduce it's life.
> I cannot get the screensaver to work on either my laptop or desktop.
> When I select  "random" the preview panel works but will not work when I
> select "try" and no other selection shows anything in the preview panel.
>
> I upgraded Gnome to 1.2.2 bu this behaviour was there before doing so.
>
> The other oddity is that a right click on the panel does nothing and the
> offer of adding an applet does not appear on the menu.
>
> Suggestions as to what the cause is and how to fix it would be welcome.
>
> TIA,
>         Tim
Tim,

Somewhere in your home directory you have a file called .xsession?  Stick a
line like this in it.........

xscreensaver -timeout 2 -cycle 2  -no-splash &

That should get xscreensaver going, if you have it installed.  Hit

man xscreensaver for the details

HTH

Glyn M

                   * None can love freedom heartily but good men; *
                   *    the rest love not freedom but license     *
                   *                John Milton                   *