Re: problems with udma66

Philipp Schulte wrote:

> > I use Debian GNU/Linux 2.2, kernel 2.2.17-ide with Andre Hedrick's IDE
> > patches applied.
>
> Stupid Question: Did you try without the patch first? I experianced
> the problem that I could set my HD to UDMA66 with no patch applied but
> only to UDMA33 with the patch.
> So if patching the kernel is not necessary I wouldn't recommend to do it.

In fact, I'm using the patch because the other computer I own has an
ALI15X3 chipset and AFAIK it's only supported through the patch. Of
course, next try is to use the original kernel with the VIA MVP3 chipset

> > In this preconfigured kernel CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO is disabled so
> > DMA is disabled at boot time.
>
> Then why didn't you change it?

but hdparm -d1 X34 should be equivalent

> > I've a secondary HD which is an old IDE drive. hdparm -iI /dev/hdb says:

> >  Model=ST1144AT, FwRev=rev 5.50, SerialNo=00KA8945150000000000
> >  Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>5Mbs RotSpdTol>.5% }
> >  RawCHS=1001/15/17, TrkSize=9792, SectSize=576, ECCbytes=7
> >  BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=16kB, MaxMultSect=0
> >  DblWordIO=yes, OldPIO=0, DMA=yes, OldDMA=0
> >  (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
>
> You got this drive at the same Controller? Of course it slows down and
> causes problems.

I've 4 devices: the ATA66 HD, the old EIDE one, an 48x ATAPI cdrom
and an ATAPI ZIP 100 drive, what would be your recommended settings,
then?

> > Questions:
> >
> > 1.- If I execute hdparm -d1 -X34 (DMA mode 2), the kernel starts
> > panicking
> > and halts. Why? (after that, I haven't even tried -X68 (UDMA66))
>
> See above

Do you mean the kernel misbehaves because of the slave disk? I thought
DMA modes could be set individually per HD

> > 2.- How come the kernel recognizes 'VT 82C597 Apollo VP3' instead of the
> > more
> > logical 'VT 82C598 Apollo MVP3'?
>
> AFAIK this information is read directly from the HD so please ask your
> vendor.

I don't think so. The drive prober for the chipset. See Jeronimo
Pellegrini's answer

> > 3.- I guess that since beginning with kernel 2.2, CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO is
> > disabled by default, there must be some faulty HD/IDE controller combos
> > out there when working in U/DMA mode. Whose fault is it? ST313021A works
> > perfectly in UDMA33 with ALI15X3 chipset.
>
> Sure there are soma faulty BIOSes but you are able to make your own
> kernel, aren't you?

Of course I'm, but I havn't tried yet since patched sources say that
MVP3 is successfully detected

> > 4.- Would you recommend to put the old IDE drive as slave? does it slow
> > down the access to the ATA66 one?
>
> It is slave right now. You should put in on a seperate controller. I
> would give the UDMA-HD a controller by itself.

see below and thanks for your answers