Re: changing file attribute colors

	Subject: Re: changing file attribute colors
	Date: Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 06:10:25PM -0500

Quoting will trillich(will@serensoft.com):
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 02:53:49PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Once, long ago when I used other distributions, I used to have
> > problems with dangleing symlinks.  To help in locating those buggers
> > I changed my copy of .dircolors to allow them to be shown in
> > blinking red.
[ snip ]

> > Anyone know where I have screwed up or has Potato gone to a
> > different method and I just haven't caught up yet?
>
> what dircolors does, is output shell commands (csh or bash)
> that'll set the LS_COLORS environment variable, which the /bin/ls
> command will use when it's invoked.
>
> may be what you need to do is
> 	eval `dircolors ...`
> as part of your startup sequence (in ~/.*rc) so that
> the command will actually result in a changed invornment
> variable... and if you're not logging out and back in
> you'd need to do that eval by hand.
>
> or are you already doing that?

Yes sir I am.  I think I found a problem with the program tho.

from the .dircolors file
# Below are the color init strings for the basic file types. A color
# init
# string consists of one or more of the following numeric codes:
# Attribute codes:
# 00=none 01=bold 04=underscore 05=blink 07=reverse 08=concealed

it seems that either the program does not work as it used to (
and how the above says it should) ie
#ORPHAN 31;40;07 # symlink to nonexistent file  # Blk on Red no blink
#ORPHAN 07;31;40 # symlink to nonexistent file   # same as above
#ORPHAN 40;31;07 # symlink to nonexistent file  # Blk on Red no blink
#ORPHAN 40;31;05 # symlink to nonexistent file   # Red on gray bkgd no blink
ORPHAN 41;30;07    # symlink to nonexistent file   # dim red on blk
#ORPHAN 41;30;05    # symlink to nonexistent file   # Blk on Bold Red Bkgd no blink
#ORPHAN 05;30;41    # symlink to nonexistent file   # Blk on Bold Red Bkgd no blink
#ORPHAN 40;31;04 # symlink to nonexistent file   # wht on blk bkgd no underline
#ORPHAN 40;31;08 # symlink to nonexistent file   # dim red on blk

In short the only attribute that works, as advertised, is bold.  I don't recall if
underline has ever worked on any dist I have used.  I am sure that
blink worked as least on SuSe and Slackware 3.5.  I was going to
get the source and check it but have decided not to.  As I mentioned
before, I saw a msg to Debian user back in 98 that asked what had
happened to the blink attribute.  His msg wasn't answered so I guess
that not many poeple use those features of dircolors.

The main reason I asked the question was that I thought I had done
something stupid, again, or that dircolors had undergone a Debian
change of some sort.  As there were no posts or bug reports I guess
that noone cares about those features or has given up trying to use
them.

Thanks for the Reply Will.  Regards

Wayne
--
Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN