Re: changing file attribute colors

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 02:53:49PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Once, long ago when I used other distributions, I used to have
> problems with dangleing symlinks.  To help in locating those buggers
> I changed my copy of .dircolors to allow them to be shown in
> blinking red.
>
> Well today I ran into an Orphan symlink problem.  So I proceded to
> modify my .dircolors file, ran 'dircolors --bourne-shell
> ~/.dircolors' to apply the changes, and did the 'ls -l' again.  No
> change. Humm.
>
> Rather then run to the list for help, I did what most 'old' time
> users do, I went to Google and the Debian User archives, to find the
> answer.  Found lots of answers as to why ls didn't show colors, and
> one question, like mine about orphaned sysmlinks, but no answer to
> that question.  Then went to the bug list and didn't find any bugs
> open (or chosed) regarding dircolors.  So, now its time to ask the
> list.
>
> Has anyone been able, or know how, to change colors and attributes
> in the .dircolors file, and get them to work?  I get then changed OK
> as shown by 'dircolors --bourne-shell ~/.dircolors' output shows
> that or=05;32;47 (which I believe is the orphan entry).  That should
> have the orphan syslink blink green on blue.  It didn't work as it
> still shows up as red on black.  I have tried different combination
> of colors and attributes and it doesn't change anything.
>
> Man dircolors says: If FILE is specified, read it to determine which
> colors to use  for  which  file  types and extensions.  Otherwise, a
> precompiled database is used.  For details on  the  format of these
> files, run `dircolors --print-database'.
>
> Anyone know where I have screwed up or has Potato gone to a
> different method and I just haven't caught up yet?

what dircolors does, is output shell commands (csh or bash)
that'll set the LS_COLORS environment variable, which the /bin/ls
command will use when it's invoked.

may be what you need to do is
	eval `dircolors ...`
as part of your startup sequence (in ~/.*rc) so that
the command will actually result in a changed invornment
variable... and if you're not logging out and back in
you'd need to do that eval by hand.

or are you already doing that?

--
self-reference, n: see self-reference.