Re: I have apt on RH, now i want dselect (or capt or sth. like that)

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 07:29:13PM +0200, Piotr Krukowiecki (piotr@pingu.ii.uj.edu.pl) wrote:

> > >     man apt-zip?
> > >
> > > I haven't used it, but my understanding is that this is what it's for.
> > > You make your requests on the Debian box, then sneakernet storage from
> > > some other box, though I don't know what it wants on it.
> >
> > No, my question was different. Downloading, moving and installing is not
> > a problem (i'm following /usr/share/doc/apt/offline.txt.gz).
> >
> > But now i'd like to have dselect, console-apt or aptitiude installed on
> > RH system. I tried to install capt, but it failed (see my first mail)
> > I don't know whether i need dpkg installed first or not (iirc there is
> > dpkg for non-debian systems).
>
> Ok.  See my previous response quoted above.  ***WHY*** are you trying to
> install apt on a Red Hat system.  If you're planning to manage your RH
> system through apt, I strongly discourage it.

I thought it's clear. There are two computers - one in my home (debian,
slow modem connection) and one where i study (RH, fast connection).
Now, i can take my /var/lib/dpkg/status file, compress it (~100KB) and
send it to RH. There i could choose what packages i want (using dselect),
download them (apt-get -d dselect-upgrade), take them to my home and
install.

--
Piotrek
irc: #Debian.pl