Re: I have apt on RH, now i want dselect (or capt or sth. like that)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:

> I thought it's clear. There are two computers - one in my home (debian,
> slow modem connection) and one where i study (RH, fast connection).
> Now, i can take my /var/lib/dpkg/status file, compress it (~100KB) and
> send it to RH. There i could choose what packages i want (using dselect),
> download them (apt-get -d dselect-upgrade), take them to my home and
> install.

Why don't you just use masqurading firewalling ?? First you need to have
masquerading setup in your RH's kernel, then you add one rule to your
ipchains, ipfwadm or iptables (depending on your RH's kernel version) and
add it to the startup. Then just point your gateway on your Debian machine
at your RH machine.

This seems like a lot easier way. And everytime you want the debian
machine to use his slow connection, change the Debian's default route over
the modem (PPP?) link.

PS Here is the HowTo on masq.:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO

New things are always on the horizon.