Re: update 2.0.35 -> 2.0.38

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:

> Would someone kindly help in understanding all those new files after
> launching "make zImage"?

They are artifacts of the kernel compile and link.

> In /usr/src/linux/ a vmlinux exe file, ~1,2 MB large.
> In /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/ a zImage with -rw-.. and 0.5MB 'small'.

This file must be copied to /boot and edited into /etc/lilo.conf so that
you can boot your new kernel.

> In /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/compressed/ -
>       vmlinux (executable, -rwx...) ,>0.5 MB small
>       vmlinux.out (executable, -rwx...) and >0.5 MB small

> I'm quite pertubed about these files since I never had heard/read of
> and noone seems to bother about them.

Quite understandable -- you didn't expect that a kernel compile would
generate so much disk overhead. And the compile has generated many hundreds
of other files that you have not mentioned. Better do a 'df' and see what
disk space you have left.

I hope you have enough left to do 'make modules'. It generates a ton more.

If you don't, it is possible to compile a kernel for this box on one with
more capability.

> Would compiling a 2.2.x kernel create the same (useless?) files?

Yes. You'll have to discuss the uselessness of these files with Linus
(torvalds@transmeta.com).

After you are finished, 'make clean' will remove a lot of them.

> Additional - where does "dmesg" extract the messages out of? The files
> mentioned in man dmesg are empty, so I guess they're in RAM?

They are in /var/log/messages.

Dwight
--
Dwight Johnson