Re: machine hangs, etc. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:16:19 -0700
From: Krzys Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca>
To: Philipp Schulte <p.schulte@matrix.uni-duisburg.de>
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: machine hangs, etc.

Yeah, I took out the CPU last night, removed the custom cooler
I put on last week, and put the stock cooler back, smearing some
standard white heatsink compound on the contact area.
The BIOS says ~35 C, which sounds OK to me.
For fun I tried running the cpu with its fan unplugged, and it
didn't crash once, so I'm guessing temperature may not be
the problem here. I'm getting a bit tense about this because
I'm not sure how to debug hardware given that I don't own a
computer store and I don't have any spare parts to try out.
Also the store that sold me this machine is fully aware of my
various shady dealings with the CPU (putting on a different
cooler and so on), so I'm not sure how eager they'll be to
let me try a different one. And even this notwithstanding,
computer stores in general don't seem eager to lend more than
about five seconds of their time, so I'm pretty pessimistic
here. I don't have the money to buy random new parts until I
find the problem either, sigh. Any other suggestions? -chris