Re: make monitor power-saving blank -HOW?

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Gerald Richter wrote:

> John Anderson wrote:
> >
> > You have to compile a custom kernel with APM support enabled, and monitor
> > power saving enabled under the apm section.  The monitor will use power
> > saving only in the character mode, so if you use X exclusively, you might
> > be out of luck.
> >

> Well, seems I've forgotten to activate that!
>
> But when I was running redhat 6.0 the X screen also blanked in a way
> that made the monitor switch off...
> why isn't that possible with my potato?

Do you really mean the monitor shut offs completely or did the monitor
light blink or turn amber?  You have to download the kernel-source
package(s) through dselect and then in the /usr/src/linux dir <tar Ixvf
kernel-sources-2.2...>, them make menuconfig, you will be presented with a
nice menu driven program.  Select the APM features I mentioned earlier.
then save the configuration upon exiting the program. then issue the
command <make dep> and after that is run, <make zlilo>.  If the kernel
compiles correctly you can reboot it and the new kernel should take
effect.