Compiling tulip.c kernel mod

I'm running a brand new install of potato, and I have a Linksys ethernet card that I'm trying to compile the driver for. The driver recommended on the Linksys support page that I compile the driver named tulip.c with the following command:

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

When I do so, gcc returns the following:

tulip.c:139: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
tulip.c:161: pci-scan.h: No such file or directory
tulip.c:162: kern_compat.h: No such file or directory

I tried installing several likely-looking .debs, and managed to find one that included modversions.h, but in the wrong location. I tried copying and linking to the path specified in the gcc line, but that only introduces several dozen new missing header dependancies. Another odd thing is that when GNU/Linux is booting up, it mentions the source code for a 3Com driver.

I can't find copies of pci-scan.h or kern_compat.h in any of the obvious (to me) packages on the three install disks. I'm not new to programming, but I am new to mucking about with the kernel. The documentation I could find on altering the kernel was for 2.0 without modules, so even very general help or a pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason Whittle

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html