Re: OT: WD-40

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 02:09:11 -0400 (EDT), Christopher Mosley said:

>  I've been having terrible problems with xwindow crashes, screen
>  distortion, ibm mouse port and serial ports. In desperation I squirted
>  a little WD-40 on the cpu fan, well all the problems went away.
>  I'm using a cyrix 686 233 MII, seems quite sensitive to a slight
>  decrease in fan speed (increase in temperature). Any suggestions
>  for a good cpu fan ,other cooling methods or any tips. Are there
>  any comparable cpu's compatible with a bios from a couple of years ago,
>  that use just a heat sink?
>                                                            Thanks

	Read 'thermal design suggestions' at teleport.com.
Lots of good explanation and suggestions for increased air
flow inside computer cases.
	A second case fan (in addition to pwr supply fan) will
net you 5 *C reduction in temp at the cpu air inlet. You can
also try a variable speed temp-controlled fan and increase metal
and bezel vents to max air flow over the heat sources.
	I also snipped off the sheet metal  covers over my
case fans for max air flow.You can use a wire cage cover
instead.
	When intake vents are optimized with dual fans in many
cases only a heat sink on the cpu is needed.
--
gEEk||dOOd^Deb+ian&&XFce$everything goes<Pronto>(-_-)