OT: WD-40

I've been having terrible problems with xwindow crashes, screen
distortion, ibm mouse port and serial ports. In desperation I squirted
a little WD-40 on the cpu fan, well all the problems went away.
I'm using a cyrix 686 233 MII, seems quite sensitive to a slight
decrease in fan speed (increase in temperature). Any suggestions
for a good cpu fan ,other cooling methods or any tips. Are there
any comparable cpu's compatible with a bios from a couple of years ago,
that use just a heat sink?
                                                          Thanks