Re: Win 95 like GUI

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Jatin Golani wrote:
> Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:41:01 -0500
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: Jatin Golani <topcat_jsg@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Win 95 like GUI
>

> Hi all,
>
> i'm using Debian 2.2.....havent been able to get a GUI
> that I like...also not sure about the fonts,etc....so
> i need to test it with a GUI that I'm familiar
> with....the Win 95 GUI.....I have once seen a linux
> box which had a GUI exactly like Win 95.......i mean
> like exactly like it......was that GNOME or KDE?? and
> which Window Manager, theme....please let me
> know....also where can i get the .deb modules for
> it.....I've tried GNOME with Enlightenment, Sawmill
> (which is pretty nice but still not as good as WIn),
> IceWM (this is supposed to be like Win but not
> exactly), fvwm, qvwm, twm....not liked any in
> particular yet.....which GUI are u using??? Please let
> me know dude so I can move onto better things in
> Linux.

You were probably looking at KDE.  I personally don't care for it at all
(looks toooo much like windows and isn't very lean on the RAM).  The KDE2
betas are nicer looking, but nothing drastic enough to make me want to use
it.  They are also in a pretty dynamic state of flux (some things are
broken currently).  Helix (gnome) is the nicest desktop environment in my
opinion.  As stable as KDE was, and much nicer looking, even compared to
the kde2 betas.  But then again I really prefer just to run WindowMaker or
Blackbox or........ isn't choice nice :-).

jt
--
Debian GNU/Linux [Woody]
2.4.0-test9-ReiserFS