Symlinking /tmp to /var...

Dear debian-users,

The disk space for my root-partition is 40 MB, while I supplied 80 MB
for my /var-partition. I would like to make a symbolic link from /tmp,
which resides in the root partition, to /var.

This was my plan:
1. Copying /tmp to /var/tmp.root (with /var/tmp.root being created)
2. Deleting /tmp
3. Doing ln -s /var/tmp.root/ /tmp/

Even the first step didn't succeed - it said: Omitting file ...
Nothing happened, but then again I might have done something stupid.

Please can you show me a way to make sure that my /tmp-files will be
going to /var? - My concern is that /tmp might be getting too big for /,
thus I would like to have all temporary files to go into /var.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas.