Re: ugly boot

kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 11:26:32PM -0600, cls-colo spgs (pplaw@pcisys.net) wrote:
> > debs,
> >
> > i have a 5 minute,  ugly boot:
> >
> > # dmesg
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > SLIP: version 0.8.4-NET3.019-NEWTTY-MODULAR (dynamic
> > channels, max=256).
> > SLIP linefill/keepalive option.
> > PPP BSD Compression module registered
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101 rpc.statd forgot to set
> > AF_INET in udp sendmsg. Fix it!
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101 portmap: server
> > localhost not responding, timed out
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101 portmap: server
> > localhost not responding, timed out lockd_up: makesock
> > failed, error=-5
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> > RPC: sendmsg returned error 101 portmap: server
> > localhost not responding, timed out
> > registered device ppp0
> >
> > lots of error messages, eh?
> >
> > ...suggestions.
>
> DNS resolution errors?  Is your network setup configuration correct?
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
>  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                    http://www.opensales.org
>   What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?      There is no K5 cabal
>    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/        http://www.kuro5hin.org
> GPG fingerprint: F932 8B25 5FDD 2528 D595 DC61 3847 889F 55F2 B9B0
>
>   -------------------------------------------------------
>    Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

//

yeah, i screwed up network configs a few weeks ago.  i'm now trying to sort it all
out. (i'd luv to get on my lan to "see" my office's dsl pipe and throw away the 56k
connect.  spoiled ain't i?)    anyway,  i  just leave the box on all the time and
'cuz it's not w*doze,  rebooting doesn't factor into the equation (unless i'm
kerneling).   (so, it's not a huge prob.)

...just thought there's a quick fix, but i knew that sooner or later, i'd have to
dig in and get the networking thing down.  (and here's my perfect opportunity.)

thx.

bentley taylor.
 (potato on 2.2.17)

//