Re: Keyboard wierdness

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Steve Juranich wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Damian Menscher wrote:
>
> > Ok, this is *really* strange:
> >
> > I have a fairly new setup: woody + 2.4.0-test9 kernel.  I had everything
> > working fine.  I wanted to move my computer, so I shut it down, carried
> > it over to new location, and turn it back on.  When it comes up into XDM
> > I discover the keyboard does nothing.  I try a second keyboard, still
> > nothing.  Rebooting shows the keyboards work fine while the system is
> > booting, but when it gets into X they stop.  Finally, I just booted into
> > single user mode, and the keyboard is fine.
> >

> I experienced something similar a while ago.  My problem turned out to be a
> faulty mouse cable.  In my case, I had to shut down the computer, unplug the
> mouse, plug it back in and power up.  I know this is a very Redmond-like
> solution, but it fixed my problem.
>
> It's a long shot, but you might try using a different mouse.

Or a mouse at all  ;)

Knowing I wasn't going to use the mouse, I hadn't bothered plugging it
in.  I did that and everything is fine.  Incidentally, this is only a
problem with a PS/2 mouse, not a serial mouse.  I'll have to figure out
the proper place to send a bug report on this one....

[By the way, sorry about not giving *complete* information.  It just
seemed *so* irrelevant!  Being a sysadmin, I should have known better.]

Damian Menscher
--
--==## Grad. student & Sys. Admin. @ U. Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ##==--
--==## <menscher@uiuc.edu> www.uiuc.edu/~menscher/ Ofc:(217)333-0038 ##==--