Re: http port open?? how can that be?

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 11:50:40AM -0500, William Jensen wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I do not have apache installed, nmap localhost does not show http being open,
> however, if I go to a friends machine and nmap my ip it shows http being
> open.  Also grc.com's port probe shows http being open.  Thing is I just don't
> see how this is possible considering I'm running iptables and the default
> policy is drop.  Anyone have any ideas what could be sneaking and letting port
> 80 open?

just guessing...

inetd (or xinetd) may be listening to various ports whether you have
services to run on them or not. check your /etc/*inetd.conf setup
and /etc/init.d/*inetd reload after tweaking (if this is the problem)...

hth

--
things are more like they used to be than they are now.

will@serensoft.com *** http://www.dontUthink.com/