Can't get new IBM 15G ATA/100 drive to work!

I've just tried to hook up my new IBM drive, and when I try to use cfdisk
on it I get:

FATAL ERROR: Bad signature on partition table
                          Press any key to exit cfdisk

And on fdisk I get:

Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF
disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
content won't be recoverable.

I tried writing this "new DOS disklabel" to disk but this didn't fix
things.

I wonder whether it is because these new IBM drives are ATA/100 rather
than ATA/66.  Could this be the problem?  I am running kernel version
2.4.0-test9 with ATA-2 support built in.  And I have util-linux version
2.10o-1 installed which is the latest I think.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark.

P.S. Could you please cc any replies directly to me as I currently cannot
subscribe to the mailing list.