X errors while running make xconfig

   Hi,

   When I'm running 'make xconfig' to configure a new kernel, I
regularly get the following error:

X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request:  49 (X_ListFonts)
  Serial number of failed request:  4170

   Does anyone know what could be causing it?
   Note that it is not systematic. It's just very annoying to loose all
the changes when you're almost finished.

   I'm running 'make xconfig' on a laptop and the display goes to my
desktop, so it goes through my local ethernet network. This ethernet
network has an MTU of 1460 (because of a bad PPP/masquerading
interaction).

I have:
Debian 2.2
kernel 2.2.17