intel ethernet

Hi,
    I have a compaq presario 1800XL 190 with an Intel Pro/100 S Mobile LAN
built in.  It's basically as simple as Debian just can't find it.  I have the
correct device driver installed (installation is successful and I think it
essentially knows the hardware is there) but I always get timeouts trying to
find load the driver at boot.  When I installed the driver while installing
Linux, it said that the self-test failed, and to make sure that the card is
a/in a bus-master compatible slot.  I've also heard that the fact that
ethernet cards used ranges for I/Os instead of fixed numbers is a problem
that needs to be fixed when using Linux with them.  Is there any truth to
this?  What further steps need to be take to get Linux to recognize my
ethernet card?  Much thanks in advance.