apg-get fails to install packages (was Re: ideas?)

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 02:35:30PM -0500, William Jensen (jensenb@charter.net) wrote:
> Karsten,
>
> I've asked over debian-used a couple different times and no one has
> really had any ideas for me.  I've seen you answer a ton of tricky
> emails so I thought I would take a chance and ask you offline if you
> know where I could go for some help.

> Briefly, the cmd "apt-get update" works fine, but at the end it errors
> out saying it cannot find some of the packages it supposedly just
> downloaded.  I have tried deleting everything in /var/state/apt/lists
> and rebuilding.  I've tried manually downloading apt again and using
> dpkg to reinstall it.  Thing is I can't use apt at all for anything as
> it is.  What else could I tell you about the problem that I'm having
> that would allow you to tell me where I could go for help.

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

I'd prefer you asked on list.  I'm known to get short when strangers ask
me directly.  You might also set your linewrap to 72.

Reply-to set to list.

Try going to /var/cache/apt/archives and installing the packages
manually with dpkg.  You can select multiple packages:

    $ dpkg -i <package-file list>

...if the files don't exist, you've likely got a problem with your
/etc/apt/sources.list file or a bad archive site.