Re: there is a way to protect backups on tapes ?

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 12:34:44PM +0200, Jaume Teixi (teixi@6tems.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently backing up to DAT tapes on a building where there are
> other companies...
>
> There is a way to protect DAT backups in order to need a password for
> restoring and reading ?
>
> I'm using dump

Using tar, you could stream data through an encryption tool.  This would
probably significantly slow both backups and restores.  I'm not sure
what options are available for other mechanisms.

By the nature of encryption, any single-bit change to the archive might
then render the entire backup worthless.  Encryption which allows
arbitrary modifications to encrypted files is not secure.  You are now
balancing two needs -- security, and restorability -- and taking a
significant risk that you'll be unable to restore your system.  This
also opens a new route of attack -- the attacker need only modify your
backups in a very minor way to render them useless.

IMO it's better to practice good physical security measures with
backups, but to realize that backup media are a potential security risk.

You're probably better off finding means to secure sensitive data on
disk.  The archive itself is not encrypted, but specific data files are.