inetd in netbase package

Hi,

Maybe my question should be sent to another list, let me know then.

I know that this is a very active maillist so I'm not part of it, please
send a CC to me too, if you reply to this mail.

My question is why inetd is part of netbase. I would like to have a system
that don't run inetd but I would like to be able to use the other commands
that are part of netbase, like telnet (out from the machine), traceroute
etc.

The securest way to not run inetd is to not have inetd installed. But if
I don't want to mess up the system by removing the actual inetd binary
I have a system where inetd is installed.

I thought that Debian was more security aware then i.e RedHat, but that's
not true. Even RedHat has split up netbase into sevral packages. RedHat has
a package called net-tools that together with the init-scripts are used to
configure the network. Than you have separated packages for all services
and "applications" like inetd, telnet and traceroute, etc. I think Debian
can do the same because package dependencis should sort out the rest for
the users/admins.

--
                                  _\\|//_
                                  (-0-0-)