apt stat problem continues

As reported yesterday apt-get update produces errors at the end.  Can anyone
tell me and the other people experiencing this what the problem is and how
we could fix it, or who we should inform if this isn't a user fixable problem.
Apt-cache search produces the same problem.  For reference, I'm on a standard
potato install with vim and iptables from woody.

stimpy:/home/jensenb# apt-get update
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Release
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/contrib Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/non-free Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/non-free Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/contrib Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_stable_non-US_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these missing files