RE: Why do emacs' info files not show up in info?

> One good aspect of emacs always was the very good documentation.
> However, after installing emacs20 from potato I discovered that "info
> emacs" shows the man page and that there is not a way to get the info
> files to show up when calling emacs' info mode.
>
> I have noticed that most of the files in /usr/share/info have -info or
> .info in there name, but emacs' files and some other packages also
> don't - and they do not show in when calling info.
>
> Is this a bug or am I missing something obvious?
>
> Johann.

Several info file do have "info" in there name, i.e., g77.info,
g77.info-1, etc. Emacs can also uncompress (ungzip) these files if you
want to save some disk space.

You may not have the info files in a directory searched by emacs.
Check your "Info-directory-list" variable, i.e, type "C-h v" (without
") from emacs and the Info-directory-list.  I get the following for
mine.

   Info-directory-list's value is
   ("/usr/local/lib/info/" "/usr/local/info/" "/usr/share/info/" "/usr/info" "/usr/share/info/" "/usr/info" "/usr/share/info")

This is the list of directories searched by emacs for info files.
Make sure your info file directory is included in this list.

--
    Carl Greco
    cgreco@novia.net