Re: apt on non-debian system

On Fri, 06 Oct 2000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:
>
> > I'd like to install apt on RH. I don't want to install deb's on RH.
> > I want only use it as it reads in /usr/share/doc/apt/offline.txt (apt-get
> > update && apt-get -d dist-upgrade with state file from other, debian
> > system)
> >
> > So, is it possibile ?
>
> Sure, just grab the source and do:
>
> make startup

I had to modify Makefile and exculde comiling docs, but it's
probably local problem, not with source.

> make
> cd build/bin
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`
> ./apt-get ....
>
> You'll need to use the configuration options that offline.txt indicates so
> that you can use a custom sources.list that is not in /etc/apt/.

And i have to change some other things like Dir::Bin::methods and other,
but i think it will work. Now it's breaking on:

E: Could not open file /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin - open (2 No such
file or
directory)
E: Could not open file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - open (2 No such file
or directory)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Do i need *.cache.bin files too ?

Thx

--
Piotrek