Re: OT: is there a decent threaded mail reader...

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Mike wrote:

> Walter Tautz wrote:
> > i'd really like to be able to read this marvelous list without
> > having to scroll through the listings looking for followups...perhaps
> > pine can do this which is what I use now.

> I don't know if pine can do this - I used to use pine, and often
> wished for just that feature.  I'm currently using mutt, which
> does do threading.  I'd say mutt is at least worth taking a look
> at.

Mike, and Walter (whom I hope is reading this thread)

I don't know about *threading* but if you want to read in seqeunce
you have your messages sorted exactly messages with some substring
in the subject line, then this pine command sequence in the index
screen should do it.

 ; t s substring z

; for select messages
t for text criterion
s for subject
substring desired
z to zoom on selected messages

This may not be threading, but it serves my purposes. It is in some
sense more flexible since besides the subject, you can select on
status (new, read, etc)  strings in the to, from, or search the
messages

Hope this helps

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I hope this is all of the above.)