Re: frustration with debian installation

> On 07 Oct 2000, Bob Edwards wrote:
> > Greetings from a very frustrated "newbie." After numerous attempts, I
> > finally got the base system and packages installed, but I now have what
> > seems like the overwhelming task of configuring everything so I can
> > actually use the new system I saved for months to purchase.

I started out with Debian a couple of years ago, and it has been my
experience that
uninstalling/reinstalling/installing-on-different-hardware multiple
times is a great learning experience. You might want to keep this in
mind. (Linux is not an OS that "needs" to be reinstalled, unlike
Windows, but it is a great learning experience to do so.)

> > (1) What all do I have to configure if I want to use gnome as my gui ?

Not being a gnome user myself, I'll leave this for others to answer.
However, it is my understanding that gnome is less of a window manager
than a "tool base", and will work with several window managers.

> > (2) Am I correct in my understanding that the x-windows system is the
> > standard debian gui, and I can choose to use gnome instead?

It is my understanding that the proper term is X Window System, not X
Windows (plural). I think it matters to some people.

It's not an X vs Gnome issue; Gnome is just a tool set on top of X.

Also, the X Window System is not Debian only; it's pretty much the
standard GUI environment for *nix in general, although it's not the only
one.

The X Window System is basically two components: a server (or "graphic
engine"), and clients (or "applications").

There are several servers available, depending on which video card you
have; a plain VGA server, an SVGA server, some accelerated servers for
specific video chips/cards, etc. There's even a VNC server, which allows
you to do "remote control", similar to the Windows' products of Timbuktu
or PCAnywhere. If you were to configure an X server and run it without
any X clients, you'd probably only see a grayish hatch-pattern on your
screen with a big black X mouse pointer. This is because the server is
only the "engine".

Then there are the clients. One of the most important clients is the
window manager, which determines the look & feel. Window managers are
such things as FVWM, ICEWM, Sawfish, TWM, etc.

KDE and Gnome are not window managers: they are "environments". KDE
includes a window manager (KWM), as well as a file manager/browser (KFM
or Konqueror), and other assorted tools/applications. Gnome can be used
with various window managers (I believe Sawfish may be the preferred one
recently, although last year I believe it was Enlightenment, but don't
quote me, 'cause I know not of what I speak). Gnome also contains
various tools/apps.

The big difference between KDE and Gnome is the widget (tool) set
they're built on. KDE, until recently, used a set with some proprietary
(non-free) technology; accordingly it was not "Debian approved". I
believe that proprietary technology was recently GPL'd, and KDE is now
available in Debian's Woody tree. Gnome was started in response to KDE's
proprietary technology; the goal was to make a similar environment, but
one that was based on totally free software. It's a less mature project,
but has a better understructure, as I understand it.

> > (3) how do I configure gnome?

A repeat of Question (1), I'll let others more knowledgeable answer
this.

> > (4) I have read"Linux system commands" by Volkerding and Reichard, and
> > got some help there, but at the moment I'm extraordinarily frustrated.

About things in general, about Gnome, about something else specific?

> > (5) I hate windows so bad, that I will never go back.

Windows, when it works, is pretty usable. But it has a terrible
architecture. Linux almost always works, but isn't quite there in the
usability department, for the average office worker. But it's getting
there. In addition, Linux is architecturally sound, which means that it
can only get better, as opposed to Windows, which through the years has
only added more and more pretty fluff on top of a rotting foundation.

> > (6) please guide me through the jungle of configring my new debian OS so
> > I can use this wonderful computer and debian to accomplish my long-held
> > dream of establishing a publishing company.

Sometimes you have to ask your questions multiple times in multiple ways
in order to get the response you're looking for. As a beginner, you're
probably not familiar with the terminology/structure that will most
likely result in getting you your answers, so don't be hesitant to try
again if you haven't gotten the answers you seek (which I certainly
haven't provided; I haven't answered your main question of getting Gnome
configured; but perhaps others have, or my response might inspire a new
question/response that will lead you closer to your goal).

--
Smaller government. Less taxation. More freedom.
Monde for Congress  |  http://www.monde2000.org