Tru Type Fonts Question

I know how to set up "xfstt" for true type fonts, but I
see that Debian 2.2 uses "xfs" as a default font server.

How do I set up "xfs" to use my truetype fonts?  This is
what I did:

1)  Installed the fttools package.
2)  Created /usr/share/fonts/truetype
3)  Copied my 1132 fonts to the above directory.
4)  Ran the "mkttfdir" utility.  Shouldn't there
    be a "ttmkfdir" utility???  Where is it???
5)  Added "/usr/share/fonts/truetype" to the
    /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
6)  Re-started the "xfs" daemon.
7)  Re-started X

That is when I got the error:
Fatal server error.
could not open default font 'fixed'

What did I do wrong?  What am I missing?  Where is the
"ttmkfdir" utility?

I know "xfstt" works but I would rather use "xfs" since it
is the default installed server.

--
---
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA